Thursday, August 29, 2013

Musical Interlude


One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

Congress gets back to "work" in a week or so.  Expect to see a full court misinformation campaign to bring down Obamacare.  Meanwhile, the Obama Administration seems determined to hit Syria with cruise missiles.  Whatever happened to the peace initiative of earlier this summer?  As the forces of ignorance gather, I've pulled together a few good YouTube video links to keep our spirits up.  Apologies for the commercials on some of them. Heck if we could get through the Vietnam War, the Reagan and Thatcher years, the neocon fantasies of the twenty-aughts, we should be able to get through the next few months.   

U2 - "Beautiful Day"
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
It's a beautiful day.

You may ask yourself, what is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself, where does that highway lead to?
You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?
 [The original YouTube link was blocked by one or more of the copyright holders.  If it's still blocked:  Here's a link to a live performance of Once In A Lifetime.]
The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growin' thin
A nuclear era, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I, I live by the river


One love
One heart
Let's get together and feel alright

You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can't fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light,
We gonna stand up for our rights!

Everything's gonna be all right, yeah!
Everything's gonna be all right!
So no, woman, no cry;
No, woman, no cry.
I seh, O little - O little darlin', don't shed no tears;
No, woman, no cry, eh.
The Clash - "Should I Stay or Should I Go?"
Version 1 - technically more polished
Version 2 - raw concert footage
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Eddy Grant - "Electric Avenue"
Ho, we gonna rock down to Electric Avenue
And then we'll take it higher
Who is to blame in what country?
Never can get to the one
Dealin' in multiplication
And they still can't feed everyone


Well darlin' if you're weary
Lay your head upon my chest
We'll take what we can carry
Yeah, and we'll leave the rest
Well, big wheels roll through fields where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams


Photo Credits (clockwise from top left): favim.com, tumblr, The Clash - MetroLyrics.com, Talking Heads - last.fm, ProverbsAndQuotations.com, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - allgoodseats.com, Eddy Grant - musicstack.com, U2 - Rolling Stone



No comments:

Post a Comment